An Index to the Tarrangower Times Volume 1.1
Indexed and compiled by Lesley Burgoyne & Carolyn Woolman
An index to the Tarrangower Times newspaper, covering the Maldon area of the Central Victorian Goldfields.
The Tarrangower Times, one of Australia’s oldest living newspapers, was established in Maldon during the early goldrush years. Of interest to family and other historians, this index accesses a wealth of information not found elsewhere.
Volume 1.1 is one of a number of indexes to the Tarrangower Times between 1858 and 1880. The newspaper’s circulation area reaches from Inglewood in the north to Daylesford in the south. It includes Eddington and Moolort to the west and Big Hill and Taradale to the east.
This volume covers 4 February 1862 to 15 January 1864 and comprehensively lists people’s names, businesses, mining and agricultural ventures, plus the development of local government, roads, coach services, the telegraph, schools, churches, hotels, sporting organizations and entertainments. Tenders, subscriptions, advertisements, unclaimed letter lists, and social events are included. There is a brief description for each entry. Of particular note is the creation of a local force of armed civilians, the Volunteer Rifle Corps, the development of the tribute system in mining and the establishment of Maldon as a Borough.
About the Authors:
Lesley Burgoyne is a retired library technician and secondary teacher with a university degree in English.
Carolyn Woolman is a retired secondary teacher with a postgraduate degree in Victorian colonial history.
300 pages softcover